Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kimono Fabric

I found a buried treasure way at the back of a shelf in one of the bedrooms. A box of pieces of old kimonos that I bought on line about ten years ago. At the time, I was making doll clothes and requested small prints of very light fabrics. They won't work in a full size quilt so I think I'll try my hand at doll quilts instead of clothes. I wish I had a camera this morning so I could post some photos. The coolest piece is cream colored with pink cranes that look like they were hand painted onto the fabric. The funny thing about it is that they are flying in different directions, and a few look like they are colliding in mid air. I fussy cut three perfect cranes to be the focal point of the quilt. Those three pieces are only about 2-4" including seam allowance, but everything in a doll quilt has to be scaled down so these might end up looking big in a tiny quilt top. As soon as the camera comes home, I will post some pictures of all the kimono fabric.

1 comment:

mathea said...

This sounds interesting. I remember I almost bought some of those kimonos myself years ago, but talked myself out of it.. It will be fun to see what you make from yours!